Thursday, December 3, 2009

#36: Never Suppress a Kind Thought

About 2 years ago I went to stake conference for my church and was counseled to never suppress a kind thought. That really struck me, because often I was filled with kind thoughts but often I let them pass. Why? Because my act of kindness might be awkward, inconvenient or even ill-received. I worried about how someone my perceive my action or how they would react. Could I muster up the courage to do it anyway?

So I took the counsel. I (for the most part, being imperfect and limited in many ways) have very intentionally acted upon the kind thoughts that enter my mind.

I was reminded of this just the other day. I walked home from school and saw someone I had once talked to who I knew was in the business school. I smiled instantly and said "Hi! How are you doing?" He looked at me like I was kind of crazy and continued walking. I just smiled and laughed. Because yeah, there are still some awkward moments, some that make you question your kindness. Those never quite go away. But then, there are in numerous moments where you did some something kind for another person, and you made their day. You may have answered their prayer, or just left a positive impression. You may have just made them smile. And that, my friends, is why you should never supress a kind though.

Oh, what joy this counsel has brought to my life. Never suppress a kind thought.

1 comment:

  1. I remember that stake conference, and I've thought a lot about that counsel but haven't made as conscious an effort to follow it as I ought to have. Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...