Thursday, January 15, 2009

More success by being joyful!


I am reading for my Behavioral Theory in Management class and I just read something that struck me (and I consider worth sharing) from the Book "The Art of Possibility" by Zander and Zander.

"You are more likely to be successful, overall, if you participate joyfully with projects and goals and do not think your life depends on achieving the mark because then you will be better able to connect to people all around you. On the whole, resources are likely to come to you in greater abundance when you are generous and inclusive and engage in your passion for life. There aren't any guarantees, of course. When you are oriented in abundance, you care less about being in control, and you take more risks. You may give away short term profits in pursuit of a bigger dream; you make take a long view without being able to predict the outcome. In the measurement world, you set a goal and strive for it. In the universe of possibility, you set the context and let life unfold."

I think this is really neat- and really interesting when I am surrounded (in Business School) by a ton of people doing ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to have an edge and get ahead of the other person. As a generality, most people in my classes have seemed to value competition, pride, success and money. And don't let me fool you- there are some really nice people at school with me, and in some regards their go-get-'em attitude is wonderful. BUT- I do think this attitude, this "universe of possibility" will lead to a much greater happiness. Anyway, just my thoughts for the day <3

Kristin :)

2 comments:

  1. MO is such an awesome class. It was definitely needed at this time in our BBA career because I think a lot of people (including myself) were getting way to wrapped up in the idea of getting ahead. That reading was a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, thanks, Kristin! This goes along with my goal to take more risks and be more adventurous this year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...