Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Weekend with Dad in Dallas

John and I just returned from a long weekend in Dallas. I guess I spoke too soon last post -- unfortunately my dad's cancer has made another appearance. He had surgery on Wednesday and we arrived later that night to spend a few days with him. He was in high spirits all weekend, my dad's attitude through trials is nothing short of incredible. He kept joking with us before the surgery "What does a guy have to do to take a nap?", when referring to being put under and finally getting away from work. Through giant incisions,big scars, the potential of more grueling treatments, and a lot of uncertainty, he is almost all positive energy and smiles. He is an incredible example to me of faith and perseverance through trials. And Oh! How I love my sweet father.

One of the highlights of our weekend was enjoying a yummy chicken pot pie.  My dad saw the recipe in the Dallas Morning News before his surgery, and wouldn't stop talking about it until he was eating a bite (and even after, he referenced how great it was daily!). It was pretty tasty, though I recommend substituting thyme and rosemary for the tarragon. This is how I cooked it anyway -- not sure who would want a pot pie that tastes like black licorice?

 When I go home to Dallas I often do a lot of cooking, sleeping, reading and resting. This weekend was no exception, I spent many hours just chatting with my family or going for walks. I hope your weekend was just as  peaceful, relaxing and refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...