Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A New Identity

Glad you made it to my new blog. Welcome!

Changing your name is really a strange process. Right after I got married I had somewhat of an identity crisis. A brief look at my inner psyche:

Me: Hi, I'm Kristin Bates. I am a calm, confident young woman who is trying to keep herself together. I am a bit of an overachiever, overscheduler and overthinker but it works for me. So who are you?

So... who is Kristin McElderry?

It was really odd. I felt like I didn't have an identity as Kristin McElderry. I thought to myself "No, I am Kristin Bates."

But, as time passes I am getting over this. I have yet to change my work email, drivers licenses and banks are taking a while and I still sign most things Bates McElderry. However, I am realizing more and more that Kristin McElderry is just like Kristin Bates-- she is just married (and perhaps more patient with that whole married bit!)

I think one of the key reasons behind this internal struggle is that I am proud of my name Bates. I am connected to an incredible family by that name. I did a lot of great things in that name and it was as much a part of my identity as any other part of me.

(For the record, my new legal name is Kristin Michelle Bates McElderry)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...